Friday, September 17, 2004

Currently and this weekend

Sioux City Farmers Market Tomorrow morning to get 40 lbs of organic local beef for our West Hall cookout! Yup, trying to go local! It may be a first for a Dordt sponsored activity! We also plan on going to a factory fabric store that sells lots of end of roll pieces since I have started to learn how to sow . . . that is sow just monk style bags. They are the simplist most comfortable bags around and I plan on getting good at making them and then selling them eventually. They are made out of whatever fabric you desire. Well off and blessings dan P


3 comments:

Dana Perkins said...

I have already lost one comment, but we will try this again.

Not wanting to let my imagination run too wild (which is not a problem this morning) and being unfamiliar with what a monk bag is I did some research.

Bobby Roberts' ace reference department at the Central Arkansas Library System tracked it down (it was an infernally hard term to find!). A monk bag is defined as "a small purse worn by sailors' round the neck on a cord, containing their money and valuables." From R. Turner Wilcox, The Dictionary of Costume, (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1969).

And another definition found was that perhapes it was a reference to a Pass Bag: A heavy leather shoulder bag, with a flap to keep sparks away from the contents. These were use by "Powder Monkeys" to transport ammunition to the guns.

But what you most like mean by monk bag is a bag worn by monks under their robes to hold malas and other items.

I find canvas bags quite useful and have 3 sitting next to me. I imagine a monk bag would be useful for carrying papers back and forth to work. I hope to see one when we come out before the end of the year!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad, nice research diddy, Yes, the monk bag under the cloak is the model I am following.

Lar said...

I find your father extremely ammusing, Danny. So you got on the blogspot. Nice work. They are a very selective crew. We will check often. I am not normally one to harp on spelling, but this one was just too good to pass up. I noticed that you are learning how to sow. Aren't you a farmer? Don't you already know how to sow? Oh, wait, you mean sew, like a needle pulling thread. Now I get it.

Sorry to give you such a hard time. Youcan mock my spelling as often as you like.

Untill we blog again.