Today, I was sitting in plant physiology class and was kind of spacy dreaming (I came to class right in the middle of my work day and it is hard to make the switch from factory work to engaged classroom listening sometimes). The topic of the day was environmental factors; tempature, CO2 concentration, light intensity and the like effecting photosynthetic rates. As Dr. Del talked I was suddenly acutely aware of how amazing plants really are. For instance, take the grass that we walk on and by everyday. It has the physiological components and design to take first, light rays from the sun and convert them into energy producing mechanisms, and secondly to take a gas, CO2, and convert it to plant food or sugar so that the plant can grow. Try to name anything else in nature that can do that (all of life depends on plants, so you will not find any . . . maybe? We humans, we talk solid food and make solid waste (I guess some would argue that I take solid food and make gas . . .heheh . the opposite of plants of course). In fact, the plants as a waste product produce oxygen. All the oxygen in the entire earth that is essential to all of life. Wow! Grass, plants, trees, flowers, these things are the stuff of life.
While at my brothers in Fargo, he was commenting on how amazing it was that a sunflower stalk in his garden from last season could get so large in one growing season. Yes, it truly is amazing that a plant can put on so much biomass in one season. A nine foot sunflower plant! I guess human life is like that sometime. We show amazing signs of growth in a season, sometimes we show very little. Like the wintertime for most plants . . . although . . there is this one type of plant . . .) Well, folks I am beginning to understand God's creative design behind this amazing growth. I ll explain it sometime when I get the chance. I just wanted to express the wondering and amazing in all the detail.
Dan P
4 comments:
Yeah, it is pretty neat when you begin to look at details of how God has structured nature. At times it can be overwhelming to try to fit it all together. The most complex systems humans have built are computers, and the fastest one now only has the computational speed and power of a mouse. We try to mimic nature in orfer to learn how to do things better
And I wonder how much of creation is there as analogies for us to see better into life --like Psalm 1 "He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season" To understand the created order is to better understand God and ourselves!
Ah yes so true gentlemen. And that is what I find so disturbing and troubling about biotechnology and GMO's in agriculture. Sure, test them on small scale, very restriced plots for there may be use. However, we are seeing an un restrained acceptance of their use. Worse, is the false hope and promise that is placed on this technology. We already have the natural order and systems to have an abundant agriculture, GMO 's will not aid in improving agriculture. It will only . . . man I will stop now, for a latter discussion. Dan P
Post a Comment