Is it stealing to use somebody's else unblocked wireless Internet service? We are having this discussion because our neighbors have unblocked wireless; should we use it or not?
I'm reading Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt adn Stephen J. Dubner, and this is one of the questions I've been thinking about after reading the chapter "What do Schoolteachers and Sumo Wrestlers Have in Common?". Fascinating book.
11 comments:
I do believe that it is stealing to use someone elses unblocked wireless. I mean, they are the ones who are paying their internet provider for service right? Just because they are not "with it" enough to block outside access does not give you (or anyone) free reign to take advantage of them. I don't like the argument that just because its there, we should be able to use it. We aren't looking out for our neighbor's best interest if we are taking advantage of them. Now, if you would go talk to them and ask them if it is OK that you use it, that is a different story. However, I have a feeling that they may not like the idea of people mooching off of their dime.
-Robb
I have no problem "stealing" wireless if I'm visiting a place and just need to check my email for a few minutes.
When we first moved to Castellón, we were without wireless for two weeks. I used to climb onto the roof of our building where the winds from the Mediterranena would catch many wireless signals and check my email.
As for "stealing" wireless from your neighbors on a long-term basis, I agree with Robb. Why not just ask if they mind, or agree to share the cost.
Either way, I don't think you'll feel comfortable using their wireless until you've made your ethical decision about it. It's not worth it to use it and feel guilty about it every time.
It's not stealing. It is the responsibility of your neighbor to use a wep key to protect their wireless signal. In fact, the agreement with their ISP probably states they are responsible to not share the Internet connection with anyone else. Furthermore, if you are using a windows pc, it is set to automatically look for open wireless access all the time. It's not your fault if your computer finds one that is open. The question then becomes, should you tell your neighbors that they are broadcasting a wireless signal and notify them they should turn on their wep encryption?
Most people know to encrypt it. I've talked to several ppl who intentionally don't encrypt b/c they think the web should be accessible to all. Your neighbor might be one of these. Since it's your neighbor it's easy to ask and clear the whole thing up. If he's offended you know it's stealing and shouldn't do it. If he doesn't care or wants to share the cost then you get access for cheap.
In response to "it's not stealing. It is the responsibility of your neighbor to...protect their wireless signal"
So, if I leave my house unlocked it is not stealing if someone comes in and takes my stuff? Or if I leave the keys in my car and it unlocked, it is not stealing if someone takes it? Hmmm...
-Robb
I think the difference is that the wireless signal is outside of your house. You don't need to enter the house to access, so you can't entirely compare the two.
I also know that many insurance companies won't support a claim in situations where the owner didn't have their door locked. So, yes, I do think people have a responsibility to protect things. Also, the main point is that the ISP doesn't want you to share your Internet connection, and that includes through your wireless signal. It's most likely in the the contract they signed.
Oh, shoot, and one more thing. I agree with the other comment that it shouldn't be wrong to use your neighbor's signal. I think people should be allowed to share it as much as they want. But, unfortunately, it's not currently the case. My wireless isn't currently locked down, even though my ISP says it should be...my neighbor's aren't close enough to grab it.
So, this may be high ground to stand on but I can't see it any other way. If you sign a contract that states you agree to provide internet access to that household/address only, then abide by it unless you are okay with being a liar and thief. Find another internet provider who doesn't have those restraints. Even splitting the cost with your neighbor is not okay because you are violating the contract. Don't sign the contract if you know you won't agree to it. Seems biblical to me. A pain to follow at times, but right nonetheless. You don't get agree to marriage vows thinking in your head that you can still sleep around. Let your word hold true even if it does seem as trivial as internet access.
Sure I think the internet should be cheaper if not free, but that's not how it is right now. It doesn't matter if people think the web should be free, unless the provider of the internet access (Bellsouth,etc) agrees and is willing to provide it for free. As is, your neighbors probably have signed a contract with a internet provider stating it is for that household/address only. If you are in a place like San Francisco or another city where it is stated that access is free, then go ahead.
Don't sign a contract if you aren't going to abide by it.
This is not aimed directly at you Budge, but the same principle applies with distributing music. I get worked up now for some reason when people find it okay to copy CDs that are under clear Copyright laws.
As it currently stands, it is wrong to copy most CDs unless the distributor (Columbia, Sony,etc) has said it is okay to distribute that music freely. Even if the artist thinks his music should be free, it is stealing unless their distributor says it is okay to copy freely. I understand the argument that art/beauty/music should be free, but somehow the artist/distributor has to earn a living and we have to honor the contracts they sign even if we don't agree. Just put yourself on the other side as the artist who is not earning a living because the technology makes it so easy to copy without really thinking about it. The technical ease of copying stuff does not take away the ethical burden. I know it stinks paying $18 for a CD, but that is how the system currently is. Fortunately, the economics and mindset of that is changing.
You can slap me if you want for being anal (sometimes I want to slap myself). But even the little things we do have an impact even if you can't put a quantative value to it.
Mathew 22:21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
I'm going to have to agree with andyp even though I am not always compliant.
-Stevo
By the way, I finally encrypted my wireless internet as a result of this discussion. I didn't have to in Atlanta because no one in distance of our house had wireless. But here in Boise there are several other signals, so I finally got the motivation to encrypt my signal. Yo Yo to the Bro!
Post a Comment