Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A word from farmer dan

Recently I think I should be called electritian and wood heat dan. Electraburn dan, sounds like a great band name! Honestly, Terry and I have been breaking out the basic wiring books and calling electrician friends for figuring out wiring up the greenhouse and walk-in-cooler at the farm. We are almost ready to buy supplies and start the process, which in an of itself will be another learning process. We have designed a wood stove out an old oil bin and a 55 gallon drum as a heat exchanger, now just to piece it togther. I wonder if a 2-year technical college degree in plumbing, electric, auto, construction, etc. would have suited me much better. Although, I wouldn't have gotten all the theory, ideas, and philosophy which has put me in this role of farmer in the first place. So the question is, Is it theory then practice or practice then theory that really matters?
Dan

2 comments:

Dunkleburger said...

wow, good question...
I'm glad to hear you are learning the be a Dan of all trades.

Dana Perkins said...

It's neither - but both. Do a little of either first then the other. Integrate that and you have substance...