Saturday, December 11, 2004

Phone Interview

Hey all,
Sorry about the last entry deleting the rest of our entries. I forgot to and some html that would prevent that and didn't notice till now. Anyways, Julie's parents were in town for Dord't Christmas concert, since Rebecca had a solo to sing. They left this afternoon so it was short but sweet. We will see them in a week anyways for Christmas! Ok, on to my recent phone inter view . . .



I had a phone interview from Professor Eric Gallandt from UMaine, Orono Wednesday night. The call was unexpected since I had just e-mailed him Tuesday about a good time to call, so I guess he was quick on the uptake. I wasn't quite prepared to ask questions, but the interview went well. Eric's area of research is weed ecology and focused in weed management. Right now, he is broadly studying ways to reduce herbicde use that can be done on a broad scale. He does this by linking weed control and soil fertility as one goal, through the use of cover crops and various cultivation techniques. Heis researching the effectiveness of cover crop's alleopathic effects on weed seed and the weed seed bank in the soil. Not only on the weed seed bank, but also on the control of crop diseases as well. I would be particularly involved with the above research in a fall bedding project. He is seeking to extend the use of plastic mulch. by Looking at weed seed growth, death, and fertility underneath multi-season beds that are extended over a couple seasons by cover crops growing over the plastic and being cut back. Anyways, he is going to send me a more specific research proposal so I can further evaluate my interest in his research. It sounds like it is right up my alley since I have done some of this on my own with the farm in Iowa. Now, I will be able to be technical and publish the results in a journal. Oh ya, plus get my masters, full tuition, and a stipend of a survivable amount. Still have to see what Iowa State and Taylor offer however. I will probably know the future course of our next couple years by the end of Jan, so be praying that Julie and I may able to make a wise decision, that God's direction will be clear to us, and that we may step out where he leads. Well, must be off to Sioux Falls for a 21st birthday celebration. Dan P




4 comments:

Fly Fisher said...

Budgie,

We and our church group in Fargo will be praying for you!

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

I'll be interested to hear what you guys decide! Just make sure you take me with you!! I'll farm, I'll weed, I'll wash your dishes...

ps. U2 Rocks!!

sam

Jewels said...

Thanks for your prayers, Matt. As for you Sam, I think we could take you along if you PROMISE to do all that work you listed AND if you promise not to tickle Dan or me on the way to our new home - deal?

Julie:)

Lar said...

Wow, danny, with all that talk about "weed seed" and "weed management" and "weed ecology," it sounds like some sort of program of study in Amsterdam.