Have you ever had a time in your life when time seems to stop because a heavy weight is upon your shoulders? Well, I had to decide on which graduate school to attend over this Christmas break (just last week actually) and the decision was not easy.
I think I might have finally realized what the Bible means by "do not worry." I was worrying about the right choice to the point of anxiety and stress. Here I was faced with two very good programs, Taylor University having accepting me and offering a full ride, and UMaine offering me a research assistantship, but having not formally accepted me yet. The dilema being Taylor needed to know by the end of the week (in order to hold my full ride) and UMaine wouldn't know until the end of the following week. I just wanted a sign from God pointing to which one to pick. Yet, that would be to easy, requiring no wrestling with my desire for specific graduate study area, and ultimately no trust in God with the final decision. I still wanted to make a right choice. Clarity began to reign in when Julie and I began to realize that there wasn't a "right choice" but rather that either Taylor or UMaine would be a good choice. Realizing that the next two years of study, no matter what was studied, wouldn't set the rest of our life work or course. We prayed a lot during that week, made up a pro/con list, and finally drove to Taylor for a campus visit.
I expected two possible results from the visit. A great visit and total affirmation that Taylor was it or that Taylor wasn't it. The latter resulting in banking on UMaine fully accepting me.
The Taylor professors were friendly, down to earth, and had really great advice for my given interests. After spending about 2 hours talking and touring their facilities Julie and I were both equally excitied about the possibilities at Taylor. I will recieve a Masters of Environmental Science which will train me in several key skills; how to research, write, publish, and also very specific skills through heavy course work. Like in GIS, hydrology, toxology EPA Phase I assesments, and several other skills. Making me more marketable to a wide range of environmental field work. You might wonder, " I thought Dan wanted to be a farmer?" Yes, you are correct, but that is more of a long term life goal, and the practical realities of getting land and building up a farm base will require that I make a living in a different way for a while. Plus, many farms exist that are research and educational based, rather than commidty based, and a MA will be very helpful in getting a job on one. The beauty of the Taylor program is that I will still be learning and doing work that I am passionate and interested in. The program will allow me to pursue my agriculture interest because I can either work on a thesis relating to agricultural policy or research topic or do an off-campus internship like working with the EPA, USDA, DNR, NRCS or similiar organizations. All organizations that focus on environmental stewardship in very specific ways. So, moving from Northwest Iowa, to east central Indiana to study is what our future holds for now.
Julie and I plan on posting weekly now that the semester has started again and our lives are back to a routine.
Dan P
1 comment:
Very exciting!!! I have very recent memories about how difficult these decisions are and can definitely empathize with your relief and excitement over making the decision. Yeah! So, now, the next choice - gonna join us for the Camino this summer :)
Also, on the lighter side, check out this link as a possible thesis topic :) http://liquidgoldbook.com/
Blessings!
Post a Comment