Monday, May 08, 2006

A CSA in Upland and working with inner city!

Below is a description of a ministry here in Upland, based out of Indy that Julie and I have become involved in. I am basically consulting or acting like one for the CSA startup. Funny how God prepares the way, he hems us in from behind and before us . . .
The pastor behind this is really seeking, what does it mean to be Christian and in community with the world and engaging the culture around us? To live as Jesus would have lived in this day and age. 70% of his congregation is below the poverty line and he doesn't just want to offer a hand out, but a true hand up and helping to change the structural and spiritual problems that plague downtown Indy.

Victory Acres, Upland

Having been in relationship with many who have tried to dry out and clean up, I have seen the pressures and the temptations they face, and I have watched them fail. While we all have a choice, not all backgrounds are equal. My daddy loved us and provided for us. Curtis’ father shot him up with heroin for the first time at the age of eight. Now in his mid-thirties, Curtis is a little boy who never really grew up. He does not have the space or time with his current situation to learn the lessons he was never taught. He is a little boy in a man’s world. He has bills to pay, rent that is due, and a wife and two children to provide for. Curtis and people like him need a place to step out of society, learn some skills, and conquer their addictions.

For a long time, we have recognized a need for a place outside the city where people like Curtis and others like him could go to heal and rebuild – a place with good work in a peaceful environment without the distractions of alcohol or drugs readily available. While sin is everywhere, the rebellion against God is more blatant and evident in the city. In order to rebuild, many will need to get away from the liquor stores, crack houses, and brokenness so evident in our neighborhood.

As most of you know, I grew up on a farm near Upland, IN, about an hour northeast of Indianapolis. I lived there my whole life until going to college at Union Bible College. There were many lessons that I learned on that farm, and I have often longed that many of the people with whom we are in relationship now could experience those same lessons – space, beauty, quietness, hard work, community, and ultimately, the God who makes all of this possible. I spent three days this past year alone in prayer on the farm on a prayer retreat. During this time, I sketched out what it might look like to have a place where people from the city could come to recoup and rebuild. The dream began to take shape.


The Farm House built by George Himelick, my great, great Grandfather

I have always dreamed of the space where I grew up being somehow connected to the work that God has given me now, but I never could quite see it happening. My Grandfather, has owned the 114 acres since the 1960’s when he bought it from his grandmother. Her father had willed it to her before that. All told, it has been in the family for at least six generations. With Grandpa no longer able to keep up with the farm, he considered selling off part of it. This past fall, I approached him about the possibility of the ministry buying it on contract with them continuing to live there. We presented a proposal to the Himelick family and to the VICM Board of Directors. While the details are still pending, everyone was in favor of the idea.

VICM is purchasing the farm and will start with Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) as a way to keep it a working farm. There are plans to expand our scope in the future to include livestock, but at first, we are going to keep it simple. We will raise just herbs and vegetables. All foods will be naturally grown. While not certified organic, our produce will be raised following organic standards. We will be planting this spring!

With Community Supported Agriculture, members participate and share in the risk of the farmer. Each member will receive a “share” of the produce. If there is a good crop, the members will benefit. If there is a drought, they may get nothing. What they do with their share is up to them; they may freeze it, can it, or give it away. Limited delivery of our produce will be available especially for the people in and around Indianapolis. For the first year, we are limiting our CSA to forty members. Each member pays a yearly fee of $400.00 to join the CSA. There is an additional cost of $60.00 per year for delivery. This money will be used for the purchase and upkeep of the farm.

Full story
Victory Acres and their Ministry

1 comment:

Abril said...

wow guys, this sounds like a really cool thing to be a part of - really combines a lot of your passions with something super-super meaningful. yeah God :) i'm really glad you found it.