Monday, February 21, 2005

Mandatory Chapel or not Discussion

Tonight Dordt had a campus wide discussion on whether or not chapel should be mandatory? I went with Julie expecting to be slightly bored (brought my poem book to draft in) since I am somewhat removed from the picture of Dordt's chapels. However, boy was I wrong.
The reason this is such an issue at Dordt is that chapel attendance has been way down over the last year and no one really knows why. Julie, faculty, and several friends say the actual services have been exceptional; thematic "Grace for the Journey", both traditional and contempary, meditative, sermons, and guest speakers, basically, all the componets one would expect for such a diversive community of worshippers.
Students and faculty gathered together to discuss and brainstorm ideas to remedy the issue. The discussion had all the basic arguements of how chapel is a spiritual activity, should it be mandated and how to go about doing so. Lots of fruitful discussion and ideas come about, but the one that I was most struck by was this . . . I am going to try to express this more for my remembrance, rather than your benefit, but hopefully you get what I am trying to say because I think it is so truthful and prophetic. . .



The low attendance at chapel was defined as a symptom of a deeper and a longer reaching problem. The problem of spiritual obesity or overfeeding! Just think about this, the idea that our christian culture is so overfeed and stuffed that we cannot even see over our own spiritual stomachs. We can no longer see up from down, the straight nor the crooked. We had lost a sense of priority. Pastor Bajema actually suggested that maybe we need to all take a year away from church, then came back and we would really desire to be in church. I think of the anciet monks and early churches that would memorize whole texts of scripture just to have the word present because the Bibles where so few, yet, the hunger so great. What has happened to us?Why is it that we complain about coming together for worship twice a week? Shouldn't we be dieing for the opportunity! Other Christians are around the globe. Fundametally, we as a culture have lost a seeking heart, and a hungering and thirsting after of God's word. So much so that we nit pick and squable over issues of organ or no organ, red or blue hymnal, etc etc. I am equally guilty of this problem because I often look for ways to read "devotional books" rather than the Bible. In traveling to third world cultures and Latin America I observe there a hunger and thirsting that cannot be found as readily in the US. Why? Not only are we material obese, but also spiritually obese!?
It was said that Dordt's chapel have become prophetic in that Cliff Bajema and other speakers had begun to talk and address the problems in broader culture and therefore also in Dordt culture. Taking the New Testament teachings and applying them to culture and offering the answer as Jesus alone. Maybe similiar to the prophets in ancient Isreal that were hated and rejected by most of Isreal because the prophets were speaking truth that went against what people "wanted to do," that is doing their own thing. So, maybe it is the prophetic voice of Dordt's chapel that is resulting in low chapel attendence!
Overall, there are two underlying themes. One, we as a christian community are apathetic in our desire for corporate worship and God's word in general. Other values of the broader culture have over taken us. Our priorities have place worship and faith near the bottom and on an individualistic level. Is is going to take a rash event, like religious persucution or a huge natural disaster to awaken the spiritual senses of the people. To trim off the fat of our obsessions and gripping. To realize our true dependence on God. To humble us to our knees!
Second, could it be that prophetic preaching is happening at Dordt and as a result the majority of Dordt students are getting turned off because it is so counter-cultural and radical in the sense that Jesus was radical. Just as Isreal turned from God's prophets in Old Testament times. What are the underlieing issue that keep students from wanting to gather for worship and community? Is it really just organ or no organ, or does it cut deeper? Where are our priorities? In fact, shouldn't we as Christian community together despite grippes (meaning sing with a guitar, or organ) , since it is through suffering that we often grow the most, are humbled that most, and can also critizies at least fairly and constructively that way.
Anyways I ramble on to much and must go to bed soon. Any responses would be helpful, similar experiences. Dan P


8 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

Good thoughts Dan! I agree, towards the end of the discussion, we really started to get at the heart of the issue... it's really not about mandatory chapel: yes or no. It's about community, it's about discipleship, it's baout accountabilty--it's about a spiritual hunger and passion. I do agree. We've become spiritually obese. We sit at a table of plenty everyday... and then we start nitpicking.. saying.. "I don't like turkey.. I don't like beans... I wanted the other kind of rolls... etc etc.." We have become ungrateful. And we've forgotten our great priveledge-- of being Christians on a Christian campus, who have the freedom to worshiop together often, without the threat of persecution. We've become fat, lazy and ungrateful. God have mercy on us.

Lar said...

Hey Danny--and Sam,
When I first read the words "spiritual obesity" I got to thinking of something else. I have this father in law who once was disscussing why kids don't go to youth group with me, and he said something to the effect of "They have Bible class in school, they have Catechism and Church, they see eachother all the time, so maybe there just isn't the need." It is sort of like they have had too much spiritual food to eat, and have become obese. I may be putting a few words in his mouth, but whatever. What I am saying is that Dordt is so full of Christianity everywhere--in the class room, in P&W and GIFT and church etc. maybe that obesity comes from being over-fed spiritually. To speak like a true Reformational Philosopher (and run the same risks--I think there was a time at the ICS where there was a movement to stop going to church since Christ claims all of culture...) we shouldn't think that specific times of worship are the best thing, and that we should cram as many as we can into our week. The aspect of faith (or pistic) for Dooyeweerd was one aspect among many, and incidently could be absolutized just like any other. Our faith is in God, not church or chapel, and although one is in dire need of communal worship, it isn't the only thing one needs. Related to this, there probably is a way that one can have too much communal worship. Even though this analogy doesn't work on all levels--as vegetarians will tell you--communal worship may be the meat at our table, but if we only eat meat it turns out like the Atkins diet, which isn't really the way God intended it. I think that is why a place like Dordt especially (over against Northwestern) will never require chapel. That was too long and I should have made a couple of paragraphs, but it is a slightly discenting opinion, if you will.

PS-Sam, lookin good, how did you get that picture there?

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

hmmm... I found it on the Dordt'd internet site, so I just pulled it off of there...
what's your blog adress dude! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!! :)

Dana Perkins said...

Hey Dan,

I just had a discussion Sunday with someone at church that is directly related to this. The short line is -- we have too many good and legitimate things these days to distract us from community and from reflection. We are influenced a great deal by our consumer oriented and individualistic culture and since we have been so blessed as to have great abundance of almost anything we (I) want, we don't stop to think (reflect) about what is important and meaningful. Maybe this is part of the strategy of Satan - who most certainly would have us busy with legitimate activity, especially that which defocuses our attention on God.

Then I wonder about the idea of 'having too much communal worship'. If this life is preparing us for heaven, and if the end we have in view is 'praising God continually' as Revelation indicates, then can there really be too much communal worship in this life? My guess is that the quality of our worship is lacking, and the sin that so easily besets us makes us unfit and undesirous of the worship we oneday will be continually fully engaged in.

Lar said...

The point that I am trying to make is that all of life should be worship. We should praise God in all things we do. And communal worship is just one aspect of life--one thing we do. Studying or buying a bike are also things we do, and should be done in a manner and in a mindset that praises God. If we see heaven as our perfection and completion, then we see that it won't be this constant communal worhsip. Adam and Eve were plopped down in a garden to work and take care of, not a cathedral. They knew God fully and walked with him in the cool of the evening, but they farmed all day. Comunnal worship is very important, but that isn't the only thing that prepares us for heaven.

Just a few more thoughts.

And sammy, the blog is:

http://laremyandbecca.blogspot.com

and the photoblog is:
http://laremyandbecca2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think Christian colleges with chapel go through the mandatory attendance thing every 5 years. Covenant College sure did. I think we were allowed to miss 5 chapels a semester.

It's funny you brought this up because I just finished reading a CS Lewis article (from the book "God in the Docks" -great musings on a variety of topics) where he was commenting on how the drop in chapel attendance at his former college may actually be an indication of a revival. Separate the wheat from the chaff. Anytime Christianity becomes part of the culture or mandated by an institution, you run the risk of the fringes of Christianity being marginilized because it doesn't fit into the mold set for it.

Reformers talk about reforming everything, but then as soon as it happens, the reformed thing needs reforming and that needs reforming, etc... There is nothing new under the sun.

Now that I don't have the opportunity to go to chapel everyday (unless Georgia Tech changes drastically), I kind of miss it.

Anonymous said...

Excellent point Lar on your last post and I think you are on right target. An excellent concise summary!

Danoudperk said...

Thanks for the running comments guys. I will respond with my response soon. Dan P