Thursday, December 15, 2005

Me, Strict?

Yesterday I went in to do my afternoon subbing, and I met with Doris (the regular teacher) briefly before she left for the day. We were talking about the classes, and she told me that someone from sixth period said that I was really strict. We laughed about that. :) Teaching - especially at first - seems to be so much acting. The classes I'm subbing have had a sub for the past 2 weeks who let them get away with a lot, and that's just not a good way for learning to take place. I am seriously nervous at the beginning of the class, but I act all confident and give these LOOKS to kids who are talking or messing around, and they stop, and it's amazing. Have you ever thought about how easy it would be for high school kids to just up and mutinize (is that a word?)? Of course, the idea is that you're strict (not unreasonable) at the beginning so that you won't have problems for the rest of the semester - and I'll actually get to try that theory out in a few weeks! Yippie!

No school for me today because of fog and snow. Normally that would be exciting, but that just means one less day off next semester when I'll really need it. Oh well.

2 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

hey, just don't send one of your "looks" my way! I'd be scared...

Liz said...

i love being able to give "the look." it amazed me at first how effective it is. i can totally identify with everything you're saying about how so much of teaching is acting, at least right at first. you'll learn more through this position than you ever learned in student teaching.