Monday, March 13, 2006

My life: Julie, school, and running

Well folks,
That about sums it up, each one very enjoyable and trying at times. I wanted to talk about the running aspect of my life today. I have been exercising my ability to ignore pain and latic acid for the past four weeks. My running consist of about 6 days of running;equalling 18-20 miles a week (soon to progress to 30-40 after my forth week mark), 1 full day a week of rest,and 2 days of endurance weight lifting. I feel as though I am back in High School getting ready for the soccer season or track season. The difference is that I am entirely self coached, although 8 books on running from the library and the WWW have taught me plenty. My favorite read has been "The Scientific Runners Book." Yup, full of regression lines, charts, and all the technical stuff that goes on in a runners body. It would make an interesting thesis project to compare running programs and body types.
Julie and I went to a specialty running shoe store this weekend, 3Riversrunning
Here, I had my gait video taped and my feet fitted for specific running shoes based on my running style and body type. It was awesome, to learn how much energy and thought people have spent in learning how to run more efficiently and with greater ease. Not to mention most of the people in the store were hardcore runners and interesting to talk with.
I will post my training schedule some time, but I hope to compete in some 20k's and maybe a mini-marthon this summer.
I ran 8, 400 meters, with 220 m jog period b/t, for a speed work out today. It hurt.
Well, must go home now and make dinner and talk a walk with Julie.
Any other wanna be runners out there?

3 comments:

rebekah said...

wow dan! thats impressive...something i wouldn't be able to do. I watched an animal program the other day with a marathon in Africa. I think you should do that...just don't run into any elephants.

Jewels said...

good advice, bekah. :)

Fly Fisher said...

I wish I ran more, but my problem is my nose runs and my feet smell. Should be the other way around.