Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Life=School

I like teaching. I am tired of grading. Especially grading advanced composition papers that HAVE NOT BEEN PROOFREAD. Not proofreading should be illegal.

Last week I held American Literature class in the computer lab so they could work on their Groupthink essays. I was helping one student when another student asked me to get his paper from the printer. Naturally, I told him to get it himself. He assured me that I should get it. Another student got it and brought it to me: It was a picture of my dad and me walking down the aisle on my wedding day! They had found the website that Bear set up with Dan and my wedding pictures! It was actually really funny. :) However, I am now fearful that my students could be reading my blog. If you are a student of mine and reading my blog, STOP OR I'LL FORCE YOU TO SING EMILY DICKINSON'S POEMS TO THE TUNE OF AMAZING GRACE IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE CLASS.

I took the Praxis 2 test today. I appreciate that Iowa does not force its teachers to take standardized tests. Unfortunately, I'm teaching in Indiana and they do require it.

On another note, I talked to Laura Groen, Liz McPherson, Susan Hoebeke, and my brother this week on the phone. Groovy!

5 comments:

rebekah said...

hey guys! i can see the comments that you leave on my blog...just letting you know...there should be an e-mail coming to you, i accidentally put hotmail instead of yahoo! oops!!

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

Julie,
I Googled you and I did find the same website that your students found, but I didn't find anything about your blog so I think you might be safe. I hope you guys are doing well. It's nice to read your updates.

Abril said...

well julie, now that you are in the world of working, your blog might actually matter. i just read another blog about it here

http://www.drybonesdance.typepad.com

and a commenter links to the *most famous* blog about work-related blogging here

http://www.dooce.com/about.html

something to think about at least :)

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

hmmmm....

Jewels said...

Thanks for the heads-up, April. I wonder what I will blog about if I don't blog about school, since it's so much a part of my life right now. I suppose it's more a matter of not telling specific stories, especially negative ones. And I always tell my students to SHOW NOT TELL in their writing . . .