Thursday, April 27, 2006

Dan is back on the attack

Hey all, I feel like I have been gone for a very long time. Wait, last time I posted was . . .March 24, wow, I am have been busy. I brought Dr.Squiers (my advisor for my thesis project) to the airport two weeks ago so I have finally gotten some breathing room. I had to have a bunch of field data sheets and procedures for forest data collection finished before he left for Russia. Now he is gone and I just have to wait for field data to be returned this summer.
I ran my first running event last week as well. A mini-marathon. Yup, 13.1 miles of pure fun (of course they miscalculated the mileage and it was actually 14.5 miles!) I have been training since Jan, although March, with time in Atlanta and my thesis deadline, little training was actually done.
The race was put on by a dorm at IWU rightnear here and cost only 5 dollars. The 5th Annual Hodson Mini-Marathon. I ran it with a friend who hadn't been training (we both decided to run it the night before) so the fact he finished was amazing. We did about 10 min miles for the first 7.4 miles. I wanted to make sure I didn't injure myself or burnout the first half. At the halfway point Jeff said he needed to walk so I decided to take off and see how fit I really was. Man, it sure feels good to pass people.
The winners finished in about 1 hr 30 minutes and I came in at about 2 hours. The clincher however is that my last mile was somewhere between 8 min and 8:30 which means I had a lot left! Full marathon here I come! It felt good to race well. I plan on running a 10 k in Maine in July, then a full marathon in Sept in Dayton OH. A couple races in between maybe as well. First, I must recover from this mini marathon. I admit I was a bit sore. Quick fact, for every mile you race, take one full day of recovery. For me that means about 7 miles of the mini was actually race pace, so in 7 days I will begin the next level of training. Subject to opinion of body at that time, may actually be 10 days.

No comments: