Monday, January 08, 2007

Thoughts on Saddam

The recent events with Saddam's death really bothered me, because I honestly thought justice was served, yet the justice I was thinking- the old eye for an eye- was served, yet that is not the Biblical justice that I am called to fight for according to NT covenant theology. Shane Clairborne points this out well http://www.beliefnet.com/blogs/godspolitics/2007/01/shane-claiborne-communicating-through.html

6 comments:

sdouma said...

Thanks...that was worth reading. Somewhere, though, we get caught between grace and truth. Jesus came full of both. How do truth and justice fit in? Grace is offered by God and we must repent to receive it. Did Saddam ever repent of what he had done? Not sure what I really think of the whole thing, but am mulling it over...

Dunkleburger said...

hey guys, that man did need love :(

in other news: i forgot the ag websites/organizations you told me about in the Bean a while back...they wore off of my hand before i noticed. if you're feeling generous, would you please give me the names again?
thanks
Mr. Kroeze

Anonymous said...

Interesting read but I just don't see where he is coming from. I find it somewhat manipulative and decepitive. I believe God's law is clear. Do not kill. This is a statute that is creational and must be upheld. Justice was served.

Cassie and Kevin Zonnefeld said...

Saddam sinned just as you and I sin everyday. I never find a day in which I find myself asking for repentance, even small steps of santification can seem impossible at times. I believe that a just judgement can only be given by God, it seems as though Jesus said that men should turn their faces to those who slap us. The idea that grace is offered only to those who repent is not grace at all, but is still works righteousness. We took away any future grace that God may have offered and therefore became much like gods ourselves, sacrificing Saddam for our glory and justice. The idea that we must follow the command not to kill is simply nullified by the fact that we did kill, we saw the truth, we drank the whole milk and still did no better. The United States as a whole, seems to do a better job of killing the innocent than Saddam. We continue to do so, not only through war, but also through our use of precious resources--our selfishness for material. Jesus did not come to come over people through power, but to work up from the depths and bring about revolution through unfamilar treatment of those who seemed so undeserving and the shaking of the sword will only bring about death through the same means. I suggest Boyd's newest book "The Myth of the Christian Nation" in regards to a Christian national response to attrocities brought upon the national boundaries drawn up by human hands.

Cassie and Kevin Zonnefeld said...

it should read that I never find a day in which I am not asking for repentance--I could see how this could be confusing otherwise

Unknown said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've heard it mentioned before. I think it's time I read it.