Saturday, September 10, 2005

I was thinking of changing the name of our blog

to One Idealist's and One Realist-Because-She's-Now-Actually-Student-Teaching-And-Not-Just-Taking-College-Classes's Stories. Haha. Friday I came home and felt really drained, so I lit some candles, grabbed a book of poetry and short stories, and took a wonderfully hot bath. Mostly I just prayed and sang, asking God to teach me what it truly means to depend on Him for love and strength and patience and joy and hope. What does it mean to truly depend on God? How does I give up all my fear and anxiety and sadness? I think one way is just to laugh, to find joy in the little things. But I am open to more suggestions.

Monday I start my full-time student teaching, and I am half-excited and half-nervous. The class that I'm adding is an Honors English sophomore class, and I'm teaching A Separate Peace. I made a power point slide show about WWII, John Knowles (the author) and the school he went to, and New England (where the book is set), hoping that will draw the students' attention right from the start. We'll see.

This is completely off the subject, but our kitten Sammie is so cute. Today Dan, Sammie, and I were taking a nap, and I couldn't sleep, so I just watched little Sammie and Dan and sleep, and I thought, Wow, I have the best family ever. They're all so cute! :)

4 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

it sounds like teaching is hard Julie! But you can keep going. It doesn't mean you have to do this forever... there are no mistakes! With each thing we do, our calling becomes clearer and clearer.

Cassie and Kevin Zonnefeld said...

Jules, to me depending on God manifests itself when I look around me and relish the many gifts we receive. To watch the birds and kittens, to feel the wind and the hot sun, to smell the flowers or the aroma of a loved one. That usually humbles me, brings me back to a place were I am able to somewhat discern my place in this world and understand that God loves me. Worries fly out the window when I realize that all these occurences and gifts are provided by God.

Lar said...

Dan, this is for you. As the husband of an English teacher, I will tell you that one of my great joys is correcting her grammar. So when she uses phrases like "How does I give up..." you can stick it to her. Since I know that you love to stick it to her. One more way to be a bad husband. Email me for more ideas. But really, Jules, I feel for you. I hear Becca's struggles to inspire, and the answers are never easy. And real life is hard too. Becca and I are finally setting up a home and routines and such and having to put our money where our mouths are, what with buying organic and fairly traded stuff and all. It is sometimes difficult when red peppers full of pesticides are 98 cents a pound. So we are trying to figure out that ballance between real life and the ideal life. Someday Dan will grow all our food and we won't have to worry about such things.

Good luck, learn much, both of you.

Jewels said...

Thanks, Lar, for encouraging Dan to "stick it to me." All I have to say is "ballance." Haha.