I am again at Taylor in Dan's little cubicle office, working on finalizing plans for tomorrow while Dan's in class. I think we're going to get ice cream after his class! Yippie!
Last week at our faculty meeting the principal suggested that we make phone calls to the parents of students who are failing our classes. So today I called a bunch of parents (11?) of students from my freshman class. It went okay. Midterm reports came out on Monday, and several of the parents hadn't received the reports or had been told they hadn't come out yet. I'm sure my students will be thrilled to see me tomorrow.
Three of the parents I talked to really seemed to care. These were the 10 minute conversations where we tried to come up with a plan and the parent just vented for awhile. I won't go into details with some of the others, but let's just say there are some messed up family situations. It makes me sad and frustrated. But I am definitely encouraged by the parents who thanked me for the phone call and seem genuinely concerned for their child.
No comments:
Post a Comment