At least I did this week. I am starting to get to the know the students, and they are getting to know me, which helps a lot. This week for American Literature, I dressed up as Jonathan Edwards and delivered "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." It was great fun! I got a call from the office (planned of course) and left the room, then proceeded to dress up in a black robe, collar, and white wig, and came back to the room spouting off about an unrepentant class I'd heard about. After the sermon and some questions, I left and changed and came back as Mrs. Perkins, acting very disappointed that I'd missed Edwards' appearance. :) The students really seemed to like it! One girl at church today told me that "everyone was talking about it". Bottom line, I feel really comfortable at Eastbrook and like I can be my weird self.
I have found grading to be very challenging, at least for the AP class. I am trying to prepare them for the AP test and be fair/consistent in my grading, which, of course, causes me a lot of stress. A parent at church this morning told me that her son told her that he wants to do well in AP because he wants to please me because I'm making the class challenging. I almost broke down and cried because it was so encouraging, and you just don't hear it from your students. After spending all day yesterday grading AP essays, I am thankful that God knows when I need to hear an encouraging word!
One more thing - I only had to kick one student out of class last week!
And of course, Dan is finally home. We went out on a date to Olive Garden Friday night, and we went running together Saturday morning. It is nice to have his presence around the house and in my life again. (And he's been cooking and doing the dishes - what more could a girl want?)
I am trying to focus on the positive, if you can't tell. Praise God for his faithfulness.
5 comments:
like i always say,
you are the coolest teacher ever.
i am so glad to hear that it is going better for you! it sounds like you are making progress with the students...i knew that you would! i wish i could've been there to see you as Jonathan Edwards. :)
hey Dan,
are your parents still intersted in a print?
oh, how fun. i think your dressing up as edwards was a wonderful idea. did you memorize "sinners" or wing it or have it written on the back side of your hands? i'm actually missing my very first day of school tomorrow, and i'm nervous about leaving a sub in charge of my classes. my, my, how protective the girl has gotten!
If we ever live near you I am definitely taking one of your classes...
Post a Comment