Tuesday, January 24, 2006

It May Be Awhile

till you hear from me again on the blog. I've been staying with a family that has Internet at their house, and I've been taking advantage of it. Tonight I return to my home, and Dan returns as well! Yippie!

I had to write four referrals today (2 for leaving class early and 2 for throwing mousepads/horseplay), and we had a "discussion" on racism today in seventh period. This occurred after one student said, "There was a bunch of Black kids at school today," and another student responded, "They're gonna get the crap kicked out of them," to which I responded, "That is not an appropriate comment for school!" to which my students responded my telling me how they called them "crackers" so someone at our school called them "the n-word" (they made a good choice in NOT saying that word in class). The Black students are from a different school. Apparently there was almost a fight today. Anyway our discussion revolved around what constitutes a racist comment and a racist attitude. My students says, "We're from a hick school!" as if that justifies a racist attitude. Frustrating.

1 comment:

Liz said...

It's funny-- down here in Florida, "cracker" is a sort of durogatory-word-turned-compliment, like the n-word in some circles. Here it means a native-born Floridian. I guess those are pretty rare in these parts; almost everyone is from somewhere else. So people (not all, of course) take a certain amount of pride in actually being a cracker. I remember the first time I heard one of my friends from school use it, and I was slightly taken aback. Ah well. All those dialect-ical (is that a word?) differences like we learned about at the NCTE conference, right, Julie?