I have fall break today and tomorrow, even though I just started at my new school on Monday. I really don't feel like I need a break, but I'm not complaining. :)
Yesterday we taught the first period class (which consists of four 7th grade boys) how to play chess. We weren't sure how it was going to go over, since it was the day before fall break and they're usually overly hyper and easily distracted anyway, but it went really well. I monitored a game between Isaac and Paco, and it was really fun to see their minds working. They stayed focused the whole time, and they wanted to play again (even though they were convinced chess was for geeks - I tried to persuade them that it's an equal opportunity game). I think they will be fun - but challenging - to teach.
So far my observing in the ESL classroom has been SO different than at Blackford. Even though we have small classes, most of the kids need one-on-one help, and you never know what homework they will need help with. Most of their homework I understand, but sometimes I get stumped on the math. Oh well, what can you do? I'm just glad to be helping the classes and getting to know the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment